News

MC1

 

 The FIRE BRIGADE

 

 

 August 2018
Fire Hose

Image may contain: text

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

air conditioners

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Gas grill safety

  • Open the grill lid when you light it. Propane can build up inside and when ignited, the lid may blow off.
  • If you smell gas while cooking, turn off and get away from the grill. Call 911 from a safe location. Do not move the grill.
  • Always turn off the burners and close the propane cylinder when done cooking.
  • Never leave a burning grill unattended.

Handling Propane

  • Keep all propane outdoors, at least 10 feet away from building openings such as doors, windows and dryer vents, and 20 feet away from air intake vents and ignition sources.
  • Do not smoke while handling a propane cylinder.
  • Store propane cylinders upright in an outdoor, shaded area; do not leave cylinders in a vehicle; cylinders should not be used, stored, or transported where they can be exposed to high temperatures. 

Gas Grill Care and Maintenance

Follow the instructions in your owner’s manual for the care and maintenance of your gas grill.

  • Check that all connections are tight before turning on the gas.
  • Detect leaks by dabbing the connections with a solution of soapy water and turning on the gas momentarily. If bubbles occur, there is a leak that must be fixed before the grill is used. Do not use matches or lighters to check for leaks.
  • Check the tubes to the burners for blockages resulting from insect nests or from grease. Use a pipe cleaner or wire to clear blockages.
  • Clean the grease trap every time you grill.
  • Take tanks and grills that need repair to a propane dealer or a qualified appliance repair person.
  • Replace propane cylinders that are old, rusty, or showing any other signs of disrepair.

Charcoal grill safety

  • Use only charcoal starter fluid. Gasoline and kerosene should not be used to start a fire in a grill. Never add lighter fluid to burning briquettes or hot coals. Doing so may cause a flash fire and result in serious burn injuries.
  • Charcoal briquettes give off carbon monoxide, a colorless, odorless gas that can be deadly. Always use charcoal grills in a well-ventilated area. Never use charcoal grills indoors.
  • For proper disposal of grill ashes, allow the coals to burn out completely and then cool for 48 hours before disposal.
  • If you must dispose of ashes before they are completely cooled, thoroughly soak them in water before putting them in a metal container.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Road closing:

PLEASE NOTE THAT NORTH VALLEY ROAD BETWEEN BREWER SWAMP ROAD AND THE COOK JOHNSON CEMETERY ACCESS ROAD WILL BE CLOSED INDEFINITELY DUE TO A CLUVERT/BRIDGE FAILURE. (For numbers 4 thru 237 enter from lower North Valley Rd., other numbers enter from upper North Valley Rd.)

________________________________________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

During an Outage

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

FPW18

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

Back in Quarters ….

Firefighter Brian Huyler celebrates his birthday on August 19th.


 

FB